View Single Post
Old 03-31-2010, 12:05 AM   #95
mavErika
Golden Member

mavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Looked to me like Melo has some quit in him. He was not with it at all, all game long. I love how Marion played on both ends. He didn't think twice about taking it to Billups on the blocks when they switched and it was fun to watch.

That was a fun game!
How about Melo revealing what a sorehead he is after the game, when he referred about getting poked in the eye by haywood and double teams(that in fact came to him a lot )as the reasons for his bad shooting night: http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba...tim&id=5039746
Quote:
Carmelo Anthony didn't give Shawn Marion much credit after the Dallas Mavericks seized control of the race for second place in the West with a convincing win.

Anthony didn't agree that Marion made a major impact in the Mavs' 109-93 victory over the Denver Nuggets at American Airlines Center. What about Anthony's awful shooting (3-of-16 from the floor) in his 10-point performance? According to Anthony, that was the product of constant double-teams, not Marion's terrific individual defensive performance.

"Not being funny," Anthony said, "but I don't think he did nothing but play his game."

The Mavs agree that Marion played his game, but the take on how much that mattered was certainly different in the Dallas locker room.
(...)
Anthony dominated while Denver dismissed Dallas in five games, averaging 30 points on 49 percent shooting. But he's been miserable in the two meetings against the Mavs in which Marion has played this season.

Melo's offensive numbers in those losses: 13 points per game on 8-of-35 shooting.

Games like this are what attracted Marion to the Mavs. He wanted to play for high stakes, and he thrives on the challenge of guarding stars, especially Anthony.

"Shoot, that was my All-Star spot," said Marion, a four-time All-Star whose most recent appearance on the NBA's midseason stage came in 2007. "Truth be told, it still should be mine.

"I'm taking nothing away from him. I think he's talented as hell.

"But that's not even what it boils down to. Right now, I'm at the point of my career when I want to win a championship."
(...)
Some might consider Marion's offensive production to be a bonus, considering that the Mavs rarely run plays designed for him. He considers it a key part of slowing down guys like Anthony.

"You've got to make him play defense, too," Marion said. "Most of the high scorers in this league don't play the other end. When you play the other end, it's that much harder to get off."
and just when this talk started to remind me of something, I saw MacMahon already had that exact thought covered, so I can just copy again:
Quote:
Unlike Dirk, Melo apparently does it right

DALLAS -- The TNT crew must be proud of Carmelo Anthony.

Charles Barkley and Co. tore into Dirk Nowitzki during last season's playoff series against the Nuggets because he dared to say some complimentary things when asked to compare the defenders Denver used against him.

Melo made a point not to give Shawn Marion any props for his shutdown defensive performance last night, when Anthony scored a season-low 10 points on 3-of-16 shooting. He wouldn't even acknowledge that these Mavs, who are 17-5 since the All-Star break, are a better team than the squad dismissed by Denver in five games last spring.

"To be honest with you, I didn't really see a difference," Anthony said. "I didn't really see a big, big difference."

Despite committing the crime of providing honest, complimentary commentary about an opponent, Dirk managed to average 34.4 points per game as the Mavs' lone bright spot in the series.

Melo might not to able to score against Matrix's Mavs -- 13 points on .229 shooting in two losses this season -- but I reckon he earns respect by giving Marion none.
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/maver...-does-it-right
mavErika is offline   Reply With Quote