Thread: 2018 NBA Draft
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2018, 06:18 PM   #485
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Jackson is so raw, but dear lord. His numbers are insane.

Per 40 he's averaging 20pts, 11reb, 6blk, 2ast, and shooting 59% from the field and 43% from three. I know that team is stacked with talent, but jeez!

Anyone know anything about his team/man defense? Haven't watched any Michigan State this year.
Jackson is definitely pretty raw, but he should be as one of the youngest players entering the draft... And his defense?

Quote:
Jackson is a new kind of defensive anchor. At 6-foot-11 and 242 pounds, his frame is right in the sweet spot between size and speed. He’s big enough to be a dominant presence inside without sacrificing his ability to guard on the perimeter. Jackson is the cornerstone of the no. 9 defense in the country as a freshman. According to the tracking numbers at hooplens.com, the Spartans give up 0.87 points per possession when he’s in and 0.98 points per possession when he’s out. He’s the only starter the team defends better with when he’s on the floor than when he’s off.

Bamba gets the Rudy Gobert comparisons, but Jackson is the more effective defender. While he doesn’t have Bamba’s freakish physical dimensions, he actually blocks more shots per minute. He blocks 15.4 percent of the opposing team’s 2-point field goal attempts when he’s on the floor, which would be the highest block rate of any player drafted in the lottery since they began tracking the stat in 2010. He has everything an elite interior defender needs: He has a 7-foot-4 wingspan that covers the rim, he’s fast enough to rotate across the court quickly and cut off dribble penetration, he keeps his head on a swivel and always knows where the other nine players on the floor are, and he never gives up on plays.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/2...-big-man-draft
At this point I'd take Jaren Jackson Jr over Bamba, but he's also starting to bump up against Bagley/Porter/Doncic for me since Bagley and Doncic aren't strong two-way players, and I have no idea what's up with Porter's health.

Like, if I'm ranking guys with a hard slant toward confidence/fit over raw talent, my top-10 are as follows:

DeAndre Ayton
Michael Porter Jr. (if 100%)
Jaren Jackson Jr.
Marvin Bagley
Luka Doncic
Michael Porter Jr. (if not 100%)
Mo Bamba
Mikal Bridges
Trae Young
Wendell Carter
Miles Bridges

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-06-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote