Thread: 2018 NBA Draft
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 12:50 PM   #506
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Magnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
I like Khyri Thomas and Gafford in that range, along with some of the other guys you mentioned. Really hope we can pull off a deal with Denver. Give them JJB or Devin and McRoberts for Faried and their 1st. Even with Faried we can probably carve out decent cap space this summer.
From a post I made in the Mavs at the Trade Deadline thread about a possible Faried/1st round pick deal with DEN.

Quote:
Any argument you have for not wasting the cap space on Faried, so you can sign a big FA, is only postponed by a season. Ok, so it's really that important to spend the cap money & get a FA in here to contend. Great. Do it in 2019 & not 2018. Take the pick & profit. Easy game.
Faried would limit us to only being able to sign a mid level exception FA this offseason. But I say so what? Say we luck out & draft Ayton and our early 2nd round pick winds up being some impact player like Kyle Kuzma was for the Lakers this year. DSJ, Barnes, Ayton, Impact player, Dirk, Wes, etc... and what FA are we going to sign that's going to take that group & make it a contender next season? My answer would be no one.

So why not just absorb the salary, take the extra 1st round pick (and get a young player who's cost-controlled for 4 years), win less games next year, get a higher pick & then hit the FA market in 2019 when Faried drops from the books, the team is a year older & year closer to being ready and you've accumulated more assets?
Magnum_3_Ball is offline   Reply With Quote