Thread: 2018 NBA Draft
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 01:02 PM   #508
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum_3_Ball View Post
From a post I made in the Mavs at the Trade Deadline thread about a possible Faried/1st round pick deal with DEN.

Faried would limit us to only being able to sign a mid level exception FA this offseason. But I say so what? Say we luck out & draft Ayton and our early 2nd round pick winds up being some impact player like Kyle Kuzma was for the Lakers this year. DSJ, Barnes, Ayton, Impact player, Dirk, Wes, etc... and what FA are we going to sign that's going to take that group & make it a contender next season? My answer would be no one.

So why not just absorb the salary, take the extra 1st round pick (and get a young player who's cost-controlled for 4 years), win less games next year, get a higher pick & then hit the FA market in 2019 when Faried drops from the books, the team is a year older & year closer to being ready and you've accumulated more assets?
I meant that there always remains the possibility of opening up more cap space later. Move JJB. Or even better, Powell. Unlikely but not impossible. See if Wes will opt out for a longer term deal (*vomits*). Could save 5m that way.

All that said, the safe play is to not do anything that isn't an obvious slam dunk trade for us. That way if something better presents itself, we have max flexibility. As much as I value and want another pick in the teens/early 20's, those deals may still be there later(Brooklyn/TOR deal last draft)-- and potentially something much better. Worst case scenario we have 20-25 mil to throw at FA's, Gordon and Capela are great RFA targets.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote