Thread: 2018 NBA Draft
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 01:59 PM   #515
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Magnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Boston traded major assets (the Big 3) to acquire a bunch of picks at once, which is the only reason they were able to build the way they did (which also included trading several picks for players)... Dallas has no such assets, and will probably be rebuilding for the next 5-10 years if we stick strictly to building through the draft. Plus, after this upcoming draft there's no reason to assume that we'll still be bad enough to get a top pick in 2019. If we end up with a mid-first, then chances are their ceiling will be somewhere in the range of Capela/Gordon anyway -- might as well just cut to the chase.
I can't predict the future, and I'm definitely not well-versed enough on the salary cap to say anything definitively, but I'm suggesting our asset could be taking on bad contracts in exchange for draft picks. You're right. We don't have the big 3 to deal, but it seems like the new currency is taking on salary. Seems to be a 2 year window to capitalize on this & the Mavs are one of the few teams with that cap space. I don't see the Mavs going anywhere in the next 2 years, so we might as well stockpile (if that's an option).

I'd rather have two mid 1st round draft picks and two mid 2nd round draft picks than Capela or Gordon for a non-playoff team.

I could be wrong. I will say this. I think you're over-estimating what our 1st round pick will do for us next year. Unless it's Ayton or Doncic, I don't see that player impacting next season significantly. If it's a guy like Bamba, he could actually be a detriment his first year until his body fills out & he figures things out.
Magnum_3_Ball is offline   Reply With Quote