Thread: 2020 NBA Draft
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2020, 09:10 AM   #61
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

18. Dallas Mavericks
Kira Lewis Jr. | 6-3 guard | 19 years old, sophomore | Alabama

Opposing college coaches and Vecenie breakdown of Lewis (Aug. 19)

I have Lewis much higher than this on my personal board, at No. 9. And the Mavericks already have Luka Doncic taking up a ton of possessions as a lead ballhandler. So why take another one? I think Dallas could really use an open-court dimension in transition that it doesn’t currently have. Plus, for me, Lewis would be the highest upside player remaining on the board here. He’s arguably the fastest player in the draft, and was the perfect player for Alabama’s uptempo offensive adjustment going from Avery Johnson to Nate Oats.

He averaged 18.5 points, 4.9 rebounds and 5.2 assists per game. He also hit 36.6 percent of his 3-point attempts and snatched 1.8 steals for the second-straight season. That makes him one of three high-major players in the last three decades to hit those numbers. He was remarkably productive for having played a majority of his sophomore season at 18 years old. More importantly though, he started to slow down and become an even more impressive halfcourt distributor and playmaker. His live-dribble passing took a leap this season, and I think that would mesh well within this offense. Most importantly, I think he can play off the ball, too, due to his shooting ability, meaning he can share a backcourt with Doncic.

I do think the Mavericks would likely prefer that a wing fell to them in this spot, such as Saddiq Bey, Aaron Nesmith or Devin Vassell. But there is a chance that such a wing does not fall. I’d also look for Dallas to be interested in a few international prospects here, as its scouting department overseas is among the best in the league. Lewis should hear his name called somewhere between No. 10 and 20.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote