View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #22
Firnen

Firnen is just really niceFirnen is just really niceFirnen is just really niceFirnen is just really niceFirnen is just really niceFirnen is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
When a player is traded his Bird rights move with him. So if he opts out of his contract, whatever team traded for him will have his Bird rights and can sign him to the extra season with bigger raises.

The six moth waiting period is for an extension. If he opts out of his contract and becomes a free agent there is no waiting period to use his Bird rights.
What about this one?

Matt Seems obligatory, but with so many pieces and a very active GM, what are the latest Rocket trade rumors? Why don’t they just go for broke and bring in Dwight (they have the trade assets), and see if he’s really willing to leave the $30+million in the offseason….or if he’d rather convince Deron Williams to come to Houston. Please give me some good news.

Steve Kyler (Hoopsworld)

Dwight needed to be traded before January 1st to be eligible for a full value contract. If he is traded now or in July, he’s losing guaranteed money. The only team that can give Dwight the most guaranteed money is Orlando… they locked that in January 1st, because you have to be with your team for 6 months to get the full value possible.

Keep in mind, Orlando can do a five year deal, everyone else can do a four year deal… do you really believe Dwight won’t get that fifth year the very minute he is eligible if he leaves Orlando?… Orlando can guarantee it, other teams would have to wait… either way unless Dwight has a career ending injury, he’ll get his money… there just is risk if he leaves Orlando.

The Rockets are active, but they have their pieces set too high on what they want… I see them making a deal, but I am not sure they have the deal they will make in their sights yet.
Firnen is offline   Reply With Quote