View Single Post
Old 07-25-2010, 02:31 PM   #212
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalger View Post
What Chris Paul wants and what is likely to happen are two different things. First of all, Carmelo would have to decline a 3-year, $65 million extension offer from the Nuggets. Would he do that and sign a contract with the Knicks under the new CBA for (considerably) less money? I'm really not sure. Another question, which can hardly be answered at the moment due to the new CBA, is whether the Knicks would even have the cap space to sign Carmelo and CP3 to maximum contracts. Bringing together Wade, Bosh and Lebron in Miami was probably easier than doing the same thing with Stoudemire, Carmelo and Paul in New York until 2012. I'm not saying it's impossible, but there are certain barriers they'd have to overcome.

Even if Paul was determined to head to New York, I wouldn't be shocked if he thought that Dallas was the better place to try and win a championship until then. And we don't have much of a chance with our current roster beyond 2012 anyway. Dirk, Marion, Jet, Haywood would all be in their mid-30s in 2013 and Kidd not even here anymore.
If I'm the knicks I do exactly what Riley did. Begin negotiating with paul/camelo through stoudemire. Carmelo would have to sign an agreement that frees him in two years. Between now and then NY begins to cut salary and free up cap room.

The new collective barganing agreement is an unknown. As is a risk by carmelo/paul of career-ending injury but that's what it takes to become a free-agent.

Does anyone know if Amare signed a cap-friendly agreement (like the ones in miami) that allows the two other guys to sign?

With respect to the mavs, I roll the dice, there are only so many more cards(i.e. years) left in the deck.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote