View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #316
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by iella View Post
The problem with Dr. Paul being open to the possibility of running 3rd party is that the Republican establishment will just marginalize him (not that they don't try to already). He's already constantly accused of not being a "real" Republican, and they would pounce on the chance to discredit him and accuse him of undermining the party.

In reality, Ron Paul is MORE electable than Romney. He does very well amongst independents and Democrats, which is much more than Romney can say. If Dr. Paul were to have the support of the Republican establishment, I think he would almost be guaranteed a victory.

I agree with you on the "impact that may rebound for decades." I only hope that my generation will not change its mind about small federal government and non-interventionism when we're the ones in power...
I agree with everything you say here. (And as an aside...if Obama could hand-pick a [serious] candidate to run against...wouldn't it be Romney?)

I suspect that the big challenge to Ron Paul, though, is what shape he leaves things in for his son. Don't you know that if Paul ran third-party and Romney lost--no matter if things are related or not--the GOP powers-that-be would ostracize Rand Paul in a big way.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote