View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #47
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsluggo View Post
Milton Friedman was teh founder of the monetarist school of economics. In one of his seminal papers (written with his eventual wife) he proposed that the major cause of the Great Depression (the 1930s one) was a failure of the central banks of the time to have an appropriate monetary response to the original shock to the economy (the stock market crash and subsequent bank pressures). The money authorities at the time were very worried about the health of the banks, and about widespread bank failures, and their response was to increase the reserve requirements imposed on banks. This had the effect of severely cutting back money supply, just as the economy was contracting, ---leading to the the economy contracting even more, and for an expanded period of time---- voila, recession becomes great depression.

Bernanke was tipping his hat to that seminal paper. Every single economist in the country reecognized this fact... it is entirely uncontroversial. (Bernanke did not take the next ste and agree with Uncle Milty and the monetarists that Monetary Policy failures were the root cause of all economic fluctuations)
See above. I'm very familiar with the official interpretation of history as told by those who make it happen. I've read my college economics textbooks, as well.
ribosoma is offline   Reply With Quote