Thread: Rasheed Wallace
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2004, 03:52 PM   #327
V
Golden Member

V has a spectacular aura aboutV has a spectacular aura about
Default RE:Rasheed Wallace

I got several PMs on this topic so I thought I wuld just post my thoughts on the recent Sheed news.... This is how I see things as of today:
---
When you read the Mavs & Blazers have not come to an agreement on a Sheed trade you have to look at what else may be available to Portland if you're going to understand how they're playing the negotiation game... and you have to consider that maintaining Portland's playoff streak means a lot to owner Paul Allen. Most importantly, Portland has a chance to tie the longest streak in NBA history if they can get it done this year. Unfortunately for those of us who would like to see Sheed in a Mavs uniform, keeping Wallace probably gives Portland's their best chance at extending the streak.

Now we understand Patterson's trade or not-to-trade dilemma.

If Portland is serious about the playoffs it doesn't seem there are many options that sound better than Jamison or Walker. Several teams can provide young talent, picks, or cap relief but I don't think that's going to be very appealing to Blazers management. Of course, that stance could change... A poster I know as PHATGUYSRULE atended a "fans meeting" with Patterson & others last week... and when asked how they would feel about a rebuilding effort EVERY fan said they would be willing to lose some games if it meant they would see consistent effort from young & talented players every night!

The Mavs are hoping for a repeat of the chemistry issues that plagued Portland earlier this season. Sheed was on his best behaviour last night (despite getting a Tech) ... but that does not mean a bad loss or two won't cause another implosion.

Here's the irony for Dallas: If Sheed plays in Portland with the heart & fire one would hope to see if he comes to Dallas then I say he stays & the Blazers make a serious playoff push. If he reverts to "bad Sheed," then I think Allen will want a talented vet in return & the Mavs will get Wallace for Jamison or Walker plus junk.

"If there's no more questions, I've got a beer that needs consuming."
-- Don Nelson
V is offline   Reply With Quote