Thread: Gay marriage...
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2008, 02:05 PM   #102
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran View Post
I understand that you disagree with the article. The point was that there were non-religious reasons for opposing gay marriage. You may not agree with them, but that doesn't mean the reasons don't exist.

Your logic, however, also fails because it begs the question of whether gay marriage bans are based solely on religious beliefs.

Either government shouldn't be in the marriage business, or you have accept the fact that government can place limitations on it.
you povided the article as showing why there are non-religious reasons for not allowing gay marriages, and my response was to show how those arguments don't hold water. the author does not establish that there are any valid reasons for denying the same benefits to same sex couples that are being provided to same sex couples, save for religious beliefs.

again, please share any basis to deny equal treatment to same sex couples that are currently provided to heterosexual couples that are not based on religious dogma. as far as I can see no legitimate reasons have been given.

there is no argument that government CAN place limitations, government is the body that recognizes marriage, and is the body that provides the benefits that are provided to married couples.

the fact that it can prohibit the practice does not however make the prohibition just and equitable.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote