View Single Post
Old 09-26-2008, 11:39 PM   #51
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran
I guess we just see it differently. I thought Obama regurgitated talking points well, but it was absolutely clear who had real insight into foreign policy issues, and it wasn't Obama. And how could he? He doesn't have any real experience in those areas to speak of, so he has to rely on what's he's been told to say.

As for aesthetics, I thought Obama's impatience and need to get in the last word got the best of him on several occasions and made him look somewhat petty. Also, I don't agree with your impression that McCain was unwilling to engage Obama directly. He may not have looked at him much, but he definitely went head-to-head with him in a number of different verbal exchanges, and in my view he won each of them.

I can see why you think Obama did well, because he gave answers that for the most part will appeal to his base. I don't know how he did with people who wonder about his knowledge or ability on matters of foreign policy, though. My bet is not that well.
I think we do see it differently. I see it through the lens, as you and I have discussed, of careful reasoning versus impulsive action. Obama comes across to me as a guy who understands broad ramifications. McCain comes across to me as a guy who firmly believes that because he has visited a place (as he reminded us several times tonight) and has been in the Senate a long time, he has the best judgment to lead the nation.

From my point of view, that is a flimsy argument. I find it entirely possible that John McCain could have a serious lack of judgment despite his time in the Senate and his visits to foreign lands. In other words, I see no reason to write him a blank check based on his passport.

As for the aesthetics...I will give McCain credit for showing knowledge of the foreign affairs issues, but I don't know how you could claim that he came across as more presidential.

He looked pretty small to me. And that's not a good thing, when you are running for president.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote