View Single Post
Old 02-12-2009, 06:46 PM   #9
NYMAVGUY

NYMAVGUY has a spectacular aura aboutNYMAVGUY has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsufferingmavsfan View Post
Dirk is great, And I'm sorry and no racism is intended here but If Dirk was a black man he would be called one of the greatest of all-time imo. But since he is a tall white guy from germany he is called soft and weak and a choker. I don't care though because I expect Dirk to lift the Larry O'brien trophy in front of all of the people who criticize him.
Dirk is one of the greatest PF's ever to play the game! Period!!!
He Played the position differently and is one of the most difficult players EVER to guard.

But race isn't the reason he is not getting the Love that he should, or could get.

Here's why.

1. ESPN - He shoots Jump shots and he doesn't look Pretty when he goes to the basket. He's has no television worthy highlights. (Steve Nash is a highlight reel).

2 Dallas hasn't won. Larry Bird and Kevin McHale won even though they had boring games (Espn wasnt a factor then either.)

3.He's a Big guy who plays small. (nothings wrong with it, but in most people's minds, its more admirable to be a small guy who plays big.
ie. Charles Barkley and Nate Robinson) If Dirk played like Lebron Dirk would possibly be the most famous athlete on the planet.

4.Dirk is Tim Duncan without the winning. (not as boring though).
Duncan and Dirk are each hall of fame PF's. Both play in towns that are not New York or LA. So you have to win in their cities to get attention. If Duncan didn't have the rings he would be struggling to get accolades, he barely gets them with the rings and Duncan is Black.

5. Dallas. If Dirk played in New York He would be a superstar! No disrespect to Dallas. (of course Football is the exception).

6. He did choke. Its Okay doesn't mean he's not one of greatest, but black or white, people don't forgive easily. It was hard for Chris Webber to shake that timeout in college. Everyone chokes sometimes its the ones who choke in the Championships that we Remember. ie. Dirk, Webber, Bill Buckner. (Dirk admits he Choked).

7. He's German. Some Americans still harbor some feelings. Enough said about that.

8. Bosh. Nobody but basketball fans know who Chris Bosh is for all the same reasons as Dirk. Not exciting, hasn't won, plays in smaller market. But he's a great player. Dirk and Bosh are the same.

Race isn't the issue. Remember Nash won back to back MVP's recently.

I'm surely not naive enough to think race is never a factor, but its not with Dirk.

Dirk your the man!!!!
NYMAVGUY is offline   Reply With Quote