View Single Post
Old 08-11-2009, 06:41 PM   #48
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

wmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaadverse View Post
Many of the conditions that make universal health care work in other countries just don't exist here. From the way we produce doctors, the infrastructures like government owned facilities, the billing and fee structure, the sheer size and population etc....

If you look at all our government programs they are full of waste and fraud. Many of us think if the effort was put into lowering costs the price could be made reasonable again. It isn't that the average person doesn't have access to care, it's that they can't afford it.

Once the process starts, it will make changes that will be damn near impossible to reverse. And the very real possibility that private insurers will just leave the market because they can't compete is very real, despite it not being in the initial legislation. Will private companies still offer it as a benefit if they don't have to? Over here the employers that offer it as a benefit pay part of the premium. It used to be a cheap benefit for both. As costs have increased it's become a severe burden for both.

Many companies are actually self insured and only use private insurers for administration. You are going to suck people out of the private sector. It's inevitable. Insurance works on the principle of spreading risk over many.
Subtract from the pool of customers.......

We already have Doctors who refuse to accept Medicare, the state run coverage for senior citizens, because it pays too little and takes 90 days or longer to be paid.

Simply covering everyone without a serious attempt to lower costs is stupid. It will discourage people to become Doctors at a time our population is going to have huge number of elderly.
And, doctors will retire...

I am not going to spend much time on this thread. I have spoken at great detail in the past about the problems and cures.

I am disappointed that Obama walked away from his campaign healthcare plan which was to expand the plan that the Congress and other Federal Employees have (the Federal Employee's Plan). Now, Congress has a document that exempts themselves from taking the 'public option'. The High and Mighty "Senators" and "Representatives" can keep their current plan while putting others on the crap plan...

Obama had a good idea. He has not even mentioned it since winning election.
Of course, he has abandoned most of his campaign platform so why am I surprised? Actually, truth is that I am not surprised in the least.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson
wmbwinn is offline   Reply With Quote