View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 12:54 PM   #73
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I believe there is room for debate here. When you consider a baby under 500kg is considered already dead versus alive until deceased, it appears to change the equation. It appears the statistics need a little more examination than our media (and politicians I expect) are capable of.

http://www.coyoteblog.com/coyote_blo...es-the-us.html
Quote:
And, in fact, this turns out to be the case with infant mortality, a fact I first reported here (related post on medical definitions driving national statistics here). This week, Mark Perry links to an article further illuminating the issue:
The main factors affecting early infant survival are birth weight and
prematurity. The way that these factors are reported — and how such
babies are treated statistically — tells a different story than what
the numbers reveal. Low birth weight infants are not counted against the “live birth”
statistics for many countries reporting low infant mortality rates.
According to the way statistics are calculated in Canada, Germany, and Austria, a premature baby weighing less than 500 kg is not considered a living child.

But in the U.S., such very low birth weight babies are considered live
births. The mortality rate of such babies — considered “unsalvageable”
outside of the U.S. and therefore never alive
— is extraordinarily
high; up to 869 per 1,000 in the first month of life alone. This skews
U.S. infant mortality statistics.

Norway boasts one of the lowest infant mortality rates in the world. But when
the main determinant of mortality — weight at birth — is factored in,
Norway has no better survival rates than the United States….
In the United States, all infants who show signs of life at birth
(take a breath, move voluntarily, have a heartbeat) are considered
alive.
If a child in Hong Kong or Japan is born alive but dies within the
first 24 hours of birth, he or she is reported as a “miscarriage” and
does not affect the country’s reported infant mortality rates….
Efforts to salvage these tiny babies reflect this classification. Since
2000, 42 of the world’s 52 surviving babies weighing less than 400g
(0.9 lbs.) were born in the United States.
Hmm, so in the US we actually try to save low-birthweight babies rather than label them unsalvageable. Wow, we sure have a cold and heartless system here. [disclosure: My nephew was a very pre-mature, very low-birthweight baby who could have fit in the palm of your hand at birth and survived by the full application of American medical technology. He is doing great today]

I'm also skeptical that availability of health care is the issue here as much as maturity to utilize it. For example it appears that free pre-natal care is pretty readily available.

http://www.womenshealth.gov/faq/prenatal-care.cfm#i
Quote:
Where can I go to get free or reduced-cost prenatal care?

Women in every state can get help to pay for medical care during their pregnancies. This prenatal care can help you have a healthy baby. Every state in the United States has a program to help. Programs give medical care, information, advice, and other services important for a healthy pregnancy.
To find out about the program in your state:
  • Call 1-800-311-BABY (1-800-311-2229). This toll-free telephone number will connect you to the Health Department in your area code.
  • For information in Spanish, call 1-800-504-7081.
  • Contact your local Health Department.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote