View Single Post
Old 03-05-2007, 04:07 AM   #77
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog

However, finding a bunch of scientists with great credentials that don't agree with the consensus does not change anything... at least not yet. Maybe the tide will change and if there is in fact a majority out there that reject the concept but have been ignored for some reason then we should definetly accept the new consensus. Or maybe with the intense focus on the issue we will see an increase in research that might prove today's conventional wisdom to be false. In the long run, I have faith that the scientific community as a whole is objective when it comes to shaping public policy. Today there is a consensus and we should start moving forward and limit C02 emissions at some level.
Consensus among the world's scientists is vastly overrated. In the past scientific consensus thought we were entering another ice age (30 years ago), scientific consensus once thought the earth was flat, scientific consensus once thought that the sun revolved around the earth, scientific consensus once thought that the atom could not be split, scientific consensus once thought that applying leaches to sick patients was the best treatment, and the list goes on on the huge blunders that sceintific consensus has brought us over the ages.

The truth is that the we don't know enough to accurately predict the weather tomorrow a good portion of the time. The earth's climate is incredibly complex and is affected by millions of variables that we know of, and who knows what we don't know of. Any prediction of that causes is to tade drastic measures with our economy is just plain stupid. In all likelyhood we probably have as much chance of "damaging" the climate as we do of "improving" it. Most likely any effect we humans have is neglible.

The said part about global warming is it is based on junk science and group think. To make matters worse a powerful political element has espoused it and turned it from a scientific problem into a political one. I think we should continue to study it. I think we should be open to new scientific theories that disagree with global warming as well as though that do agree with it. I think we need lots more data. And I think the politicians should stay the hell away from it. And most definitely we shouldn't make any serious financial or far reaching economic decision based upon this unproven theory.

Scientific consensus is just a fancy name for acting like sheep.