View Single Post
Old 03-05-2007, 07:22 AM   #79
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan
Scientific consensus never said the earth was flat. That's an urban legend. (point still valid)
And I think you will find that there was no scientific consensus that a "New Ice Age" was coming in the 1970s. My memory is that there were a couple of provocative reports by scientists that triggered a media frenzy on the topic but that the scientific community at large (once again, scientific organizations, journals) actually stated there was evidence for extreme variations in temperature that were likely due to pollutants and low cloud cover. I believe there was some mention of GHGs in those early reports, but the scientific community was not sure of their impact. It is possible (and I am not sure, but it is worth looking into) that the foundation for global warming and climate change were actually put on the table at this time. My point is that the views of the scientific community 30 years ago are largely misunderstood. Today 100 Nobel Laureates, many of the relevant scientific organizations, and several scientific journals have all come out in agreement on global warming/climate change. Not true 30 years ago.