View Single Post
Old 10-27-2003, 03:13 PM   #18
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Lil' Whistle pitches Sabonis

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
I'd love to have Sabonis. He wouldn't be good for very many minutes, but he certainly could make a difference for those few minutes he did play. Sabonis has the height and bulk to bother Shaq as well as anyone. I just don't think we have much more than a prayer of a chance of getting him if that.
ehn? I dont think he would be an inside pounder at his age. He dominated at one point in his career but now he seems to like to play the perimeter, or at least that is what Portland had him doing

I'd prefer an athletic defensively minded big man who would just pick up fouls, but Sabonis could teach everyone on the Mavs a little something. He has godly court vision (especially since he can see the whole court from up there), he is a smart passer and he knows how to be competitive. He's just a little old, but he has retired before only to be courted back.

Who knows how close the Mavs are to getting him. Are they openly thinking about him? Are they taking him out to dinner? Are they negotiating? Fitting his hand for a ring if he stays the year? Did li'l whis'l talk to him while he was over there? Did he leave an open offer?
Actually Sabonis still played shaq as well as anyone. At his height 7'3", he' a little taller than shaq. Shaq still out weighs him, but even shaq finds it hard to push Sabonis around. Sabonis is very strong even now. He's not quick and he's no longer athletic, but his basketball IQ is Birdlike. He is also crafty enough inside to draw a few fouls on shaq and a good enough shooter to draw shaq out of the paint. Sabonis won't stop shaq by any means, but he can slow him down as well as anyone for limited minutes. Enough for the Mavs to make a push in a game.

As far as how Portland used him, they're some of the biggest idiots on the planet. I won't say anymore there.

BTW Sabonis if he returned would be the best passing big man in the NBA.