View Single Post
Old 06-22-2011, 02:47 PM   #54
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
I think I'd keep Shaq above Hakeem based purely on Rings and Shaq being an unstoppable force.

But if you ask me who was a better pure basketball player...I take Hakeem.

But for historical significance and impact on the game...Shaq is incomparable.

(Even saying this makes me waiver....bc I freakin love/respect Hakeem.)
I agree with this. Hakeem was certainly the more polished, more versatile player, but honestly I don't know that any player has ever impacted the game quite like Shaq did. And that sincerely includes guys like MJ and Kareem. That's not to say he's necessarily better than them, but in some ways I would say his mere presence impacted the game more. I don't know that any other player in NBA history has ever dictated the ebb and flow of the game simply by being on the court. Maybe Wilt, but then again, those Celtics ALWAYS had Wilt's number. Nobody can say that about Shaq. Shaq in his prime was just one of a kind. To be honest I was very tempted to put him ahead of Magic and Bird. (And I'm honestly not sure why I decided not to.)

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 06-23-2011 at 02:08 AM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote