View Single Post
Old 02-24-2021, 12:15 AM   #13
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super B View Post
Then the geniuses who are Cuban, Donnie and Carlisle dismantled the team. Would they have won another title? Maybe not, but we never got to find out what that group could have done the next season.
Nobody "dismantled" anything. I've said this a million times. This is the most enduring, most frustrating myth of the Mavs' post 2011 doldrums. Letting Tyson Chandler walk in free agency =/= "dismantling" the team. The roster outside of Chandler was not only brought back almost entirely in tact, on paper at least, it was arguably even better. It's not like we let Chandler walk and did nothing else. Vince Carter was an upgrade over Stevenson, and we brought in the reigning Sixth Man of the Year. The problem is... (in my best Stephen A Smith voice) Lamar Odom WAS ON CRACK! Seriously, if we got the player we thought we were getting in Odom, the Mavs might have made a very deep run that year.

I'm not saying letting Chandler walk was the right decision. I think history proved that it wasn't. But a full decade later, people still complain that the Mavs "blew up" their title team, and that's just not true. The truth is, the team blew itself up. They were the oldest team in the league by a pretty fair margin as I recall. Kidd was 40, Marion, Terry, and even our franchise cornerstone Dirk were all in their mid-30s.

The real failure of the MBT wasn't that they "dismantled" the 2011 team, it was continuing "plan powder" for like the next 5-6 years after they swung and missed on Deron Williams and Dwight Howard.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote