View Single Post
Old 12-01-2003, 11:08 PM   #67
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Fortson suspended 3 games

Quote:
Some of Cuban's comments were in response to the substance of Colangelo's comments (cf., "It's unfortunate that Zarko got hurt", and "I can appreciate and respect Jerry's passion and standing up for his player"). Others, like the stuff regarding charge rules and the Olympics, were injury-related issues that Mark has been trying to get the league to address. As such, they are not so unlike what Colangelo is lobbying for (ie., a rule change he wants the league to address that would be expected to reduce injuries to players). Mark's adding particulars to a subject, not changing it.
Colangelo wasn't talking about "injury-related issues." He was talking about what he perceived to be a dirty, intentional foul. Injuries that occur when players play in the Olympics or that occur when opposing players attempt to take charges are hardly of the intentional variety. But I digress, because I don't think this is really worth arguing about. We both agree that Cuban took the opportunity while commenting on the matter to change the subject and address issues he wanted to address.

Quote:
Again, on the charge rule, specifically. It's pro sports. I'd buy and second your argument if we were talking about peewee ball here, but we're not. We're kidding ourselves if we think that subjective sportsmanship is going to keep anybody at this level from doing what they are allowed to do by the rules. And the broader issue is that following rules and advocating changes to those same rules are not mutually exclusive actions. Yes, there are plenty of causes and issues in the world that have been and could be well served by magnanimity such as what you are suggesting, but...well, it's pro sports.
Whether it's peewee ball or the NBA, it doesn't matter. Cuban claims that taking charges "is a far more dangerous play than what Danny did" and "led for the second time in the past three years to Dirk Nowitzki getting injured." If that's what he believes, and it's really that dangerous, then he should instruct his team not to do it, whether the refs will call it a foul or not. Otherwise, he either really doesn't care about injuries to players or really doesn't believe it's dangerous.

Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
I don't see why griping about the "rules" and using the rules is some sort of hypocritical situation?? If the rules say that you can do x and doing x gives you an advantage of course you do it. Are you saying that we should have a set of "good guy" rules. Maybe I would agree with you if we got extra points for playing by them but certainly not when it puts you at a disadvantage, that's silly.
It's really pretty simple. Cuban claims to be worried about injuries to players. And he has said that he believes that taking charges is dangerous to the players. If he's TRULY worried about injuries to players, then this isn't just about taking advantage of the rules as they are interpreted by the refs. This is about player safety. OR, perhaps Cuban was just talking out of his ass and really doesn't believe that taking charges is that dangerous at all.

He can't have it both ways.

Edited for typo