View Single Post
Old 03-19-2011, 04:12 PM   #155
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe those of you who are exceptionally motivated on the site performance topic should try to send a PM to atheos.. he is an admin who posted a couple of times regarding a DB migration for performance enhancements a few months ago. I'm not familiar enough with DJ's arrangement to know whether or not atheos is a friend/associate or someone who works for the hosting company. Either way, maybe atheos knows a way of getting a message out to DJ.

I'm sure over ten years, DJ has put a lot of money into this and maybe just doesn't have the time to invest in the problem solving effort on top of additional money (or even on top of add'l money received from users).

In addition to the user community (obvious), the d-m.com presence and name recognition is worth preserving. Performance issues can be solved, just need the right people on it.

I'd consider being a Simpson or a Davis in this mix, if someone out there wants to drive the bus. I don't mind kicking in some cash... but only if I trusted whoever was in control to be dedicated to it and stick with it awhile (and to consider my opinion commensurate with my level of contribution, of course). So if someone wants to get a group together and try to pitch DJ on becoming "Administrator Emeritus," I'll be glad to help.

In my day job, I manage a team responsible for web-based application delivery on a scale far greater than a busy night at d-m.com, so I can also provide some guidance in terms of where to go to help the situation technically.. I just don't have the time to be the guy to execute it on the technical end. I know we have lots of smart folks here.. with the right help I think the perf issues could be made to go away fairly simply.

Also.. to address the question of bandwidth - if it's literally a bandwidth issue in terms of network throughput (and not bandwidth as a euphemism for server capacity).. then money will solve that very easily. Either switch to a different hosting provider w/ better bang for the buck, or pay to lift the throttling imposed by the current one. Assuming that is the issue at hand.

Last edited by Rhylan; 03-19-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote