Thread: Mavs seeding
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2021, 08:10 PM   #89
Some Guy

Some Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
Ok so if I am understanding this correctly: if the Mavs fail to get any better around Luka it's not the FO fault because X+Y+Z + the Square root of 2Yx10 < The Suns

There is just nothing that the FO can do when the math is so stacked against the Mavs is what I am understanding.
What a nonsensically exaggerated response. Nobody said anything like that.
I do object to using the Suns as a comparison to say that the Mavs FO has failed. That's just a horrible comparison, totally disconnected from reality.

The Suns have:
Missed the playoffs for the last 10 seasons.
In Booker's first year, they won 23 games.
In Booker's second year, they won 24 games.
In Booker's third year, they won 21 games.
In Booker's fourth year, they won 19 games.
In Booker's fifth year, they won 34 games (.466% of shortened season)
In Booker's sixth season, they will finally finish above .500 and make the playoffs!

In Luka's first season, Dallas won 33 games.
In Luka's second season, Dallas won 43 games (.573 in shortened season) and made the playoffs
In Luka's third season, Dallas has already won 30 games (.545%) and are on pace for the playoffs again. The season isn't over, and they have already won more games than the Suns did in each of Booker's first 4 years. But this is a failure, and the Suns FO is superior?

Since the last playoff season for the Suns (2009-2010), they have had 16 first round picks, including 6 top ten picks.
Dallas only missed the playoffs for 3 years before getting back in last year. And since that last playoff season (2015-2016) they have made 3 first round picks, including 2 top 10 (one of which, Dennis Smith, was used to get Porzingis).

In Luka's first season Dallas traded most of their useful trade assets to get Porzingis - a young recent all-star to be a foundation piece next to Luka - but far from a final piece.
Going into Booker's 6th season the Suns traded some of their assets to get an older all-star who filled a need and was the 'final piece' for them.
Dallas did not wait 5 season before taking a big swing - yet that is somehow counted as a win for the Suns?

The Suns have had 10 crappy non-playoff seasons to acquire talent and trade assets - of course they should have a better team than Dallas after only 4 seasons. Of course they are more able to make meaningful trades than Dallas at this point.

Trying to make a comparison where you have to ignore all of the relevant details is just nonsensical, and makes me think you guys don't really believe what you are saying and only want to get a reaction.

Compare where Dallas is now to where the Suns were 3 years ago, or wait a few more years to compare Dallas to where the Suns are now. But otherwise this is an unfair and illogical comparison.
If Dallas is still fighting for 7th/8th place in 3 years, then I will agree that they have failed.