Thread: 2018 NBA Draft
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2018, 05:28 PM   #235
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum_3_Ball View Post
I feel like a DeAndre Jordan-like piece is somewhat outdated in the current NBA. It is nice to have a rebounder, shot blocker/rim protector (especially with the Mavs history of Centers), but I see Bamba's skill set as being a clear downgrade from what a player like Ayton/Bagley Jr/Doncic offer in upside & skill.

My other knock on Bamba is some scouting services have him listed at 6-9; although, everyone seems to agree his wingspan is 7-10!! And if you've ever seen any highlights of him flushing a one-hand jam you can see just how impressive his wingspan is. If the Mavericks do wind up in that 5-7 area & Bamba falls to them as the BPA, then I can live with it. Honestly, I think I still might prefer a Mikal Bridges type, maybe strongly prefer, but I can see why folks are attracted to Bamba. Also, there's always the chance Bamba can develop a mid range game & increase his FT% to a respectable level, so he's not a liability at the end of the game.
I totally can see that line of thinking and not even saying its wrong. Small ball rules the day. But Gobert is still an incredibly valuable piece that any team would kill to have. And from what I've seen and read Bamba has the potential to be better offensively and defensively. Doesn't mean he will be. It would take time and patience and who knows if he has the mentality or intangibles. But Bamba looks pretty freakish to me and if he ever puts it together it could be scary good. In 5 years he and Junior would both be around 25 and ready to enter their prime together. Can you imagine that pick and roll?

I also really like Mikal Bridges a lot and wouldn't be bummed to have him at all. He has some of the non-flashy game and athleticism of Kawhi. Starting to really warm to him and feel like this is might be an 8! man draft after all
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote