View Single Post
Old 01-24-2011, 04:18 PM   #45
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobatundi View Post
We all find different things to be helpful. For instance, knowing that "grammar" has a broader meaning than simple sentence structure.
Grammar means rules governing the composition of sentences, phrases, and words. You can "find it helpful" to think it means something else all you want, but you would be wrong. You are talking about clarity, context, style, coherence, and macro-structure/organization. Not grammar.

And the reason I'm continuing to discuss this ridiculous minutia (sorry mods) is because it plays into this insistence that BG should "edit his pieces" more. I find that comment insulting and, frankly, completely out of line.

He made a stylistic decision to use a certain well-known idiom ("out of the mix") in a context that he assumed his informed readership would understand. No amount of editing would have "caught" that, because it's absolutely not a grammatical mistake of any sort. It was completely, 100% discretionary. You can disagree with his call if you like, but don't try to point me to a grammatical rule he violated, because there isn't one.

I'm done discussing this now. As far as I'm concerned, "take it to PM's" is only half the solution. The other half is not being pretentious and trying to frame it as constructive criticism.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 01-24-2011 at 04:25 PM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote