View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 07:46 AM   #74
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male29Dan View Post
Why on earth would you trade him if you didn't give him a chance to start? He is cheap, under our control, and gives us great flexibility at a position where we have the majority of our injuries. I would bet my entire family that out of Hamilton/Cruz, one will see the DL next year. Murphy is definitely more talented at the plate and he covers LF quite well. Plus Josh is absolutely terrific in CF, though prone to injury there (prone to injury everywhere outside of DH for that matter). And where are you getting 5th outfielder? Hamilton, Cruz, Murphy, and Borbon. That would be 4th outfielder.

To me, play your best guys in the positions they are best suited. Why does Murphy have to be a 4th outfielder behind Borbon when he does everything better than Borbon except run? Make Borbon make enough noise with his bat in 4th outfielder duty like Murphy has to DESERVE the starting OF spot. What Murphy did this past year puts him in the starting lineup as far as I am concerned, minus a trade or FA signing. Keeping Borbon as the 4th OF spot is somehow beneath him? Is it beneath Murphy? Give me a break.

I say make him earn it and his results from last year did not warrant a starting spot. Sure, you could argue sending him to AAA to get consistent at bats, but I would prefer our 4th OF be talented and beneficial to us in late innings. Maybe others could suffice, but my point is that until Borbon proves otherwise, he is not a starting OF on a playoff team.
Borbon is light years better defensively than murphy. Murphy is a slightly below average corner OFer, Borbon is a good defensive CFer. Murphy is a better hitter, but I wouldnt project much more than 270/330/450 for murphy going forward and if Borbon can put up 290/340/400, Id take Borbon over murphy. The problem is im not remotely sure that Borbon can put up 290/340/400.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote