View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 04:40 PM   #28
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Dalmation,

I understand that you have to look at need...but be very careful drafting based on need.

You could skip the next "Great" player in order to draft the next great "NEED BUST"

In my scenerio, I now have options...if I draft the next Great RB, even when I have a stable of them...but I don't feel that anyone else on the board is anywhere near what this RB is...then I take the RB and begin to work deals.

Maybe the emotion of draft sets up an opportunity to trade one of my RB's for a 1st Rounder next year...imagine getting that for Barber, who is about to hit a plateau...while putting another stud in the stable?

If I have an OL that is rated on my board close to the Stud RB...basically, if my pick is at 24 and I have a RB rated at 23 and an OL rated at 25...then I look at my need, and chances are I go with the OL.

But If I have a RB rated at #5 and an OL rated at #30 with both available at 24...First I look to see if I can make any deals before I pick...

Of course, in my rankings I would have some type of criteria in terms of expectations...just because someone is ranked #5 doesn't mean squat if the overall perception of the draft class is extremely low. I also have to ask, why would a #5 slip so far down the board.

Again need plays a factor, but it can not overule the best player available. Use my needs to maneuver around on Draft day...but I must stick true to the board.

Keep in mind, under the Barry, Chan, Campo days...we drafted for NEED and what type of players did that get us?

Landry had a Best Player Available mentality, as did Johnson.

I tend to believe that Parcells as much as I hate the guy, had the same BPA mentality.

Phillips appears to be of this mindset.

Not sure yet about the GM...he seems to understand this concept and then once in a while appears to let some hype or personal emotion get in the way of sound judgement.

Throughout the NFL history, teams that draft based on NEED are teams that consistantly wind up on the bottom half of the records, and thus continue to have High Draft picks...to many these picks are traded away to better team/organizations.

That reminds me, didn't during the Cowboys phase of drafting for need, trade away a couple of #1 picks for Galloway...didn't something funky happen with regards to trading for Roy Williams...

Needs can be such a bitch and they tend to cloud ones judgement...but they are there and once in a blue moon...a squirrel finds a nut.

Fortunately, none of us here are part of the real think tank behind the Cowboys. Hopefully those in the real think tank will figure things out and help this Organization re-claim it's Championship legacy!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote