View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 06:01 PM   #28
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Johnson from what I have read worked off of a numbers game like I described. In fact that is where I first read about the way he did it. Not sure where he got it from and it may have been around for a long, long time, but I am fairly certain that is where I got it from.

Let's back up a little though. I didn't say don't draft for BPA -- BPA is the overriding and most important part of it, but many don't put a numerical value to it, they just put them into sections. These players have 1st round grade, these a second, these a third --- then they draft the highest on the list. This gets them in trouble when they have a great OL and the first four they pick are all OL.

Weighting the points by needs keeps you always drafting what you consider the BPA while still drafting for a need. It also allows for you taking into consideration the injuries, the competition, the off-field stuff.

Lets say player 1 is a great WR -- he gets 500 pts., you need a WR 200 pts, position of importance 100 pts, but is dumb as a box of rocks, has not work ethic, played in the girls powder puff league, and has public-ally stated he loves smoking dope. Then player 2 may be the better choice, even if he is slightly under and plays a different position. Player 1 gets 800 pts, and might be a GREAT choice in the third round, but not the first.

This system would allow you to decide what is important to your club based upon the values of your club. If you have an extremely complex offense, maybe your points weight more on intelligence, maybe you just want guys that have played in the big conferences, maybe off-field is extremely important because of the locker room.

It just keeps guys in line when you have the chance to draft.
Add to that the value of the position you are drafting at, and it helps determine if you should be taking the guy or dealing out of it.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote