View Single Post
Old 08-03-2011, 01:17 AM   #39
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Before I start..(might not finish tonight), let me say that I have never been associated with a literary genius, so please don't call the dogs out on me. I am just a lowly mathematician...

Responses in bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedays View Post
I think if you were to do something as simple as survey the guys on this board, you would find quite a few who were pleased with their experiences.

Obviously, that would depend heavily on the goal. The only question you have to ask is, are you strong?

It is not just regular Joe's who adhere to circuit training, professional athletes (Lance Armstong and Drew Brees are just two who immediately come to mind having shown off their techniques in, of all places, Men's Health) also buy into it, with consistent, long-term results.

Yes, but you are comparing apples to oranges (no pun ) here. What's the difference in Drew Brees or Lance Armstrong doing "functional" training vs the average Joe? You're talking about elite athletes. Athletes who have trained and trained and trained behind closed doors to do what? Get strong... They are strong and vital to their respective sports. Take the average joe, like me, who walks into Wal-Greens and sees the latest Men's Health magazine. I think if I can do this or do that, I'll be an "athlete" like Drew Brees or vainly thinks "my abs will look like that". Totally ignoring the absolute fact that I'm weak ...and no matter how many 8 counts, bunny hops, lily pad jumps, I'm still gonna be weak.

Now, his point is to train correctly. There are no shortcuts. And no matter how many P90X cycles you do, you're still gonna be weak because the "exercises" you're doing are not measurable gains.

That's why Squats, Presses, and Dead lifts are an absolute must to make sustainable and measurable gains.

Wells himself seems to espouse the benefits of circuits on his website, http://www.findingfitwithin.com/, where he shows a man performing a four point circuit on the home page.

From my perspective, he is not being hypocritical. He tailors a program to the individuals needs of the client. Whether the client is a novice, intermediate, or an elite athlete will be a function of how he/she is treated. Now his example on the video is a man who is clearly not a novice . Clearly he has paid his dues behind those closed doors. I can tell that just by looking at his hips. From my observation, the client is strong (IMO). The video might be a one functional part of his training but there's a lot more going on than just that one circuit training. do you get what I am saying?

It is ironic that Wells points to the current regime as having, "an inability to accommodate new ways of thinking," as there are extremely reactionary elements inherent in his prescribed techniques. Focusing one's workout around squats, the bench press and deadlifts is typical "old school" and only exercises primary muscle groups and ignoring key stabilizing muscles, leaving one more susceptible to injury.

Ok, so you're wanting me to completely ignore this paragraph? Because there is a lot going on here that fuels the fire.

Replace with:
Quote:
Apologies on my part for any confusion. I tried to clarify in my follow-up post above but happy to do so again here.

The sentence you quoted was the product of two unfinished thoughts, the first being that "muscle confusion" exercises are an extension, an evolved offspring if you will, of traditional compound exercises such as squats, deadlifts, etc. The stated (and, based on experience, achieved) goals of both are similar if not identical, and I find that criticizing one is akin to criticizing the other.

I'll be honest, I'm still confused but I'll give it a shot, anyway... Hypothetically, if there does exist this so called "muscle confusion", it's evolution as you say came about from squats, dead lifts, and presses. What am I missing here? Why would you try "muscle confusion" on a weak bodied person? Why not just put that person under a bar and have them lift it? Come back the next time and lift it again, but with an incremental weight change. Come back again, etc... until that weak body person is strong(er). Then you can take that strong person and incorporate new goals that might connect a sport or just being able to move a refrigerator down a flight of stairs..

The second part of the sentence was meant to discuss the notable difference between compound and isolation exercises as a contrast to the parallels between "muscle confusion" and compound exercises.

Ok, so here you didn't answer my question. What muscles does a proper squat leave out? The answer is none unless you're under the impression that a squat should be done above parallel. (not assuming you don't know but please clarify your understanding)
We all strive for maximum relative fitness, commensurate with what our bodies are able to physically sustain, and what our day-job schedules realistically allow. While there are certainly flaws in cross training programs, as there are with any fitness program, that does not change the fact that they deliver results for those of who cannot work out full-time.

I have two teaching jobs, two kids, and more hobbies than I know what to do with. My workout consists of approximately 1.25 hrs, three times per week. Sometimes just twice a week. I'm stronger and more viable at 36 than I was in the Marine Corp in my twenties. I could barely dunk the basketball in high school at 6'3 175lbs. I'm 240 lbs and last month I dunked a basketball. That is all a result of taking my squats 5RM 185lbs to 365lbs since November. Really that is weak for my weight, but hey...I've got around 2/3 my life left, right?

Full disclosure, I have not personally completed a program such as P90X, but circuit / muscle confusion training is a huge part of my daily workout.

Finally, I found this quote to be particularly absurd:

I don't mean for this post to be argumentative, as I am certainly open to new training techniques, especially from someone who has the impressive credentials of Wells. I just don't agree with this particular write-up. In all seriousness, if you feel I am simply missing some key point from the article, I would appreciate it if you would clarify for my benefit.

Thank you for your thoughtful response. Please clarify anything I took the wrong way. Look forward to more discussion...
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote