View Single Post
Old 02-05-2010, 03:06 PM   #464
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
All-star berth in jeopardy for Carmelo?

Carmelo Anthony's ankle injury is persistent. It has kept the Nuggets star sidelined for six games, and now could threaten his ability to play in the All-Star Game.

If the injury keeps the Nuggets forward out of the team's last four games before the all-star break, Anthony said he would not play in the All-Star Game on Feb. 14.

"I wouldn't do that," Anthony said. "I couldn't have people talking bad about me like that. I care about the All-Star Game, but I really care about my team first."

Anthony went through a full practice Thursday and sounded nothing like a player who will return soon.

"I got up and down the court. I ran, shot the ball well, I could slide left to right," Anthony said. "I'm still looking for my explosiveness. My first step is still a little slow. So, until I get that back, until I'm 100 percent, I'll be on the sideline cheering my team on."

Asked if he could get that explosiveness back by game time at the Lakers tonight, Anthony said it would take a "miracle" for him to play tonight.

Anthony was voted an all-star starter for the second time in his career by fans in a landslide vote over other Western Conference forwards. He'll be there along with teammate Chauncey Billups, who was added this week to the West's roster, and coach George Karl.

All that needs to happen for the seeds of doubt to be removed from Anthony's all-star status is for his ankle to be healed enough to allow him to play at the level to which he's accustomed. After the Lakers, the Nuggets travel to Utah on Saturday, followed by home games next week against Dallas and San Antonio.

"We miss him. Of course we miss him," Billups said. "We miss everything he brings to the table. He's one of our leaders. Everything that we do revolves around Melo. So, we definitely miss him being out there with us."

Anthony shed light on his state of mind Thursday and acknowledged that the injury was worse than he originally thought. The Nuggets are 6-5 this season when Anthony has missed games due to injuries.

"It gets frustrating for me, just to sit and watch my team compete and I can't be a part of it," Anthony said. "But for the most part we've been winning games with me being out.

"Some days are better than others as far as mentally and emotionally. I just want to be out there. I hate sitting out. I think a lot of people didn't realize — even myself — how severe the ankle sprain was. After watching it again (on film), I'm surprised I didn't break it, knock on wood, the way I rolled it."

Link
Hopefully he does sit out the allstar game so that Dirk can get the start.