View Single Post
Old 07-29-2003, 11:08 PM   #106
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute
Default $400.00 per child Tax-relief Checks are in the Mail- Bush screws the working poor!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by: reeds
All I want is consistency. Why do some get suspended for almost nothing, and then someone can talk shit like MADAPE did??? COME ON- this is garbage..a fair playing field is all I am asking for
It's not just the words that people say. I also consider the intent behind the words, and I also consider the person's history of contributions to the board. You might not like that, but let's face it -- there's no black and white when it comes to being "offensive," so I'm not going to apply fuzzy rules "fairly." It's impossible. That's how real life works.

For example, reeds, I can't remember the last time you brought anything to a sports-related thread. But, you've sure popped out of the woodwork as a political provocateur in the Lounge. If a brand new member showed up and that was all he did, a thread like this would probably have been locked days ago. But you've been around a long time, and you have a history of being an intelligent poster, so the thread stays open, out of respect for whatever discussion you hoped to start.

Anyway.. I don't think that madape should receive any type of 'official punishment,' because I think that what's offensive and acceptable should be self-policing for the most part. Some of you were offended by what madape said, and you told him so. However, calling him names and likening him to a racist wasn't exactly the best way to do that.

If you are truly offended by his words, tell him you're offended by his word choice and harsh images. If you're actually just offended by his political views, and that's where you want to concentrate your efforts, that's fine, but he's not going to get banned for that. If he'd said something similar about the Lakers, I don't think as many of you would be crying out about it. Because you'd agree with his position.

So.. I'm not doing anything other than asking madape to consider the more genteel patrons of the board when going into one of his monologues from now on. If the other mods think differently, that's their choice. But that's my piece.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote