View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 04:04 PM   #233
bobbyfg7

bobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to behold

I wasn't sure where to put this but I rather enjoyed it. This is a rant from a friend who is a writer but it's not a published article or anything. I especially like the last paragraph. Keep in mind this was before the recent game against the Thunder and almost in full-on panic mode, enjoy:

Quote:
I'm still in for the demolition [refering to the game we're going to see on Monday against OKC]. But holy balls should we be worried. You're absolutely right about the perimeter defense [I mentioned how much the perimeter D was missing Stevenson]. Jason Kidd, Shawn Marion, Lamar Odom, Vince Carter, and Haywood all look absolutely awful. I'm willing to give Odom and Wood the benefit of the doubt — maybe the weird offseason stunted his mindset and a new system has hindered his production. Okay. Give him time. And clearly Wood is just ill-equipped to do what the Mavs are asking him to do — that is, be Tyson Chandler. And that's not his fault. He's not quick enough or athletic enough or smart enough. Fine. So be it. But Kidd? Marion? Vince? These guys look washed up. And maybe they can play themselves into shape. Maybe. But I think it's just as likely that they're done. And if that's the case, then, uh, shit. At least we'll have the 2011 Finals. Thank Christ for YouTube.

Two games is (obviously) a small sample size, but I think what they're gonna have to do is go a little Nellie on everybody: play Dirk and Odom at the same time. Play fast and unconventional. It's obvious that this team is not last year's team, so to me, it doesn't really matter who the de facto center is. I don't think they can get bogged down in a "we have to have someone play a traditional center role" mentality. That guy is not on this team. To make a go of this thing right now, they have to tailor their style of play to the personnel they have. So I think they need to run a lot of pick-and-pop with the two big guys — with Odom as the ballhandler — to exploit the inevitable mismatches. And then space the floor as best they can around that two-man game with dudes who can hit open shots or attack the rim. They need to pick up the tempo and get rid of the fogies who can't keep up. The ten minutes a game or so that Roddy and DoJo are getting? Reserve those for Kidd and Carter. Start Roddy. Give Sean Williams minutes. Push the pace and risk losing games 150-120. But at least have an identity and a purpose. And then play zone. Lots of zone.

As for the offseason in hindsight, I can totally understand letting Stevenson and JJ walk when you've got guys already on your roster like Roddy B, Dominique Jones, Corey Brewer, and Rudy Fernandez — younger, cheaper guys with potential — who need those minutes. But when you let Stevenson and Barea walk, relegate Roddy and DoJo to garbage time, GIVE AWAY Brewer and Fernandez, and sign a chubby Vince Carter lookalike (and a bipolar league-average combo guard) to waste those minutes instead? That doesn't make any sense, new CBA be damned. As for your fantasy general managing [I suggested a wild scheme to get Howard], I think that Howard scenario is the pipiest of pipe dreams, but hey, maybe somebody like Anderson Varejao or Andris Biedrins or Andray Blatche? … Are those crickets I hear? Is it even worth it at this point?

And another thing: On draft night, they took Jordan Hamilton (hook 'em) with their first round pick. And then they traded his rights to Denver for Rudy Fernandez, who Portland obtained in an earlier trade (Andre Miller for Ray Felton and Rudy). That's defensible. But then four months later they sign Vince Carter and Delonte West to one-year deals and give Fernandez back to Denver (along with Brewer) for a second round pick. !!!! So if you follow that, Dallas essentially traded a first round pick and a former lottery pick for a second round pick. That's something they just did. Wow. I will never understand letting those guys go when Vince Carter and Brian Cardinal are on the roster. How much money could that have possibly saved them? $3 million? $5 million? Does that money really matter? Does having $28 million in cap room as opposed to $22 really make you that much more of a free agent player next year? Guh. I'm sad.
“They gotta come through Texas first. We’ll see what happens. I’m still mad about the ’06 Finals. LeBron just walked into a fire he doesn’t know about.” - JET (said at the beginning of the '10-'11 season)
bobbyfg7 is offline   Reply With Quote