View Single Post
Old 03-29-2011, 07:22 AM   #707
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Napoli is most certainly the backup catcher as things stand - that should be fairly obvious. Torrealba's career high in games caught in a single year is just over 110 (Colorado's dream season) but it is typically much less than that (no other year did he break 100 games played). Napoli will play games there for sure, and more than he was going to previously (so yes Thiggy - fear the bet).

Now, if what I heard on Galloway yesterday along with what has been hinted at by Durrett and others comes true (eventually Treanor is back with this team once Webb/Hunter is available and we move back to a 7-man bullpen) OR if Cash/ShittyUTCatcher is back up with this club at some point then sure, this is only a short term thing getting us through these initial rough waters.

My opinion? The honest truth staring us all in the face (assuming the cooling-off Davis could keep up his overall pace all year long) is that we would be a better overall team without the Napoli trade, with Davis on the MLB roster, with Francisco closing (yes I know he is still hurt), and Feliz starting.

Given that we are now making our defense much weaker to get Napoli at bats, will have to send one of the best Spring performers this year and a stud defender Davis back to AAA and have moved our best pitching prospect back to closer due to no one else being able to man that position this trade has the potential to ruin our year.

I know Napoli serves a need for us and I know he has good offense to contribute, but looking back on this trade knowing what I know now, I really wish we didn't make it. Of course if Frankie can't pull his body together I will have no leg to stand on there other than what Napoli blocks internally by him being here.

Sorry - I am cranky given the offseason/spring performances.