View Single Post
Old 08-20-2009, 06:50 PM   #45
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavdog View Post
first, the person with a pre-existing condition many times WAS a member of the pool before their insurance lapsed.
And, of course, if you disconnected health insurance from employment, that person would be able to stay with the plan they had if they so chose. The problem arises when you are on one group plan and are then forced to leave that plan because you are no longer employed by the same employer. If termination of employment didn't end coverage (after the COBRA period), then this wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for agreeing with me.

Quote:
second when the insurance is universal there are many more healthy people than ill put into the pool, with the ratios remaining at worst level.
And you expect those new people to cover their own costs? Really?

Quote:
you should get more informed on the stats...
•The percentage of all employers offering health insurance in the past eight years peaked in 2000 at 69% and has fallen steadily since, hitting 60% this year [2007], according to an annual survey of employers by the non-partisan Kaiser Family Foundation. Among small firms of three to nine workers, the percentage offering insurance has dropped even more — from 58% in 2001 to 45% this year.
http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...cial-net_N.htm
http://www.nchc.org/facts/coverage.shtml
This indicates that fewer employers are able to afford health insurance premiums, not that health insurance has been disconnected from employment. I'll repeat what I said: the bulk (majority) of people that are insured in this country receive their health insurance through their employer.