View Single Post
Old 03-22-2006, 05:36 PM   #11
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobay
True, Jordan never did become a great 3pt shooter but his midrange game became dominant thru his had work and he diversified his game. So there was improvement in shooting even if he didn't become a great 3pt shooter (bringing the line in did help of course). MJ is kind of a tough example though being the best or one of the best ever... tough standard to have when talking about Darius Miles of all people.

That being said I always think about two great centers - Hakeem and Shaq. Hakeem was a pretty bad FT shooter coming in but improved to be a very respectable FT shooter - mid 70's I believe. Shaq on the other hand hasn't even sniffed 60% most of the time much less 70%.
First, I was only talking about Jordans 3pt-shot and that it didn't improve although he is one of the hardest working people during the offseason. That's a fact. I didn't compare Miles to Jordan as a player, i only compared their shots and how some people just can't do something, no matter how hard they work.

Hakeem improved. True. But was it because he worked harder on it than Shaq? I'm not that sure about that. Shaq has had various shooting coaches and tried very hard over his career, but it just won't happen.

And there are other factors for shooting badly. Look at Erick Dampier, I remember hearing every offseason, how good he shoots that FT during the training. 230 out of 250 once if I recall it correctly, but in a game he's just so pumped up that he almost never shoots better than 65%.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote