View Single Post
Old 02-18-2005, 02:24 PM   #10
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Some Christians Never Give Up...lol

Alright, sick of hearing about this topic..... guess what folks.. marriage is not a right. Equal protection shouldn't apply. Benefits for married couples are inherently arbitrary, and as a result, I don't see how you can impose the 'equal rights' argument, without having to extend it to single people and polygamists!

One of the biggest arguments on the side of gay marriage is the spousal benefits argument.. which really is pretty valid in a lot of ways. I support civil unions, personally. But even so, let's say my buddy and I are both self employed.. say he's an electrician, and I'm a plumber.

Let's say my wife works for a company that provides health benefits, and he's not married. I get to insure myself based on spousal benefits from my wife's job, and he has to have a personal policy. Now, how is that fair? What if he wants to be married but women can't stand him? That is no more a choice that he can control than is the argument from gay people that they can't help who they love. My electrician buddy can't help who DOESN'T love him! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

get it?

Seems to me that the concept of benefits for married couples is neither fair nor equal.. the fact that the benefits even exist is a product of our prevailing culture.. a Judeo-Christian one, by the way.

Just an outside the box thought.

edit, 'cause I'm hooked on phonics.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote