View Single Post
Old 09-25-2008, 04:51 PM   #10
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default your best source of Cowboys news on a Mavericks site

Double Owens, But Beware Others Getting Open

link

IRVING, Texas - Terrell Owens has been in Miles Austin's position before. He, too, was a young, developing receiver who benefited from the extra attention defenses paid to his superstar teammate.

Owens fed off Jerry Rice's double teams in San Francisco years ago. This past Sunday, Austin was the latest Cowboys wideout to exploit Owens' double coverage, catching two passes for 115 yards and a touchdown in a 27-16 win over Green Bay.

The Packers consistently shaded a safety in Owens' direction and held him to two catches for 17 yards. The Cowboys countered with an effective running game (218 yards from Marion Barber and Felix Jones) and a democratic passing attack in which Tony Romo hit seven different receivers.

Owens was satisfied with his quiet night. His proof? The Cowboys' 3-0 record heading into Sunday's division game against the Redskins.

"As long as we're winning, I don't have a problem," Owens said. "If it's a situation where games are close and we're losing, then that's when I have a problem with it."

Austin, the third-year veteran from Monmouth, sealed the victory with a 52-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter. Had he taken a different angle on his other 63-yard catch, he would have scored again.

Owens contributed in less flashy, more complementary ways - racing downfield to block on Jones' 60-yard touchdown run and helping corral Packers safety Nick Collins after Romo's end-zone interception.

"These are plays that are winning plays, that help you win the football game," Romo said. "People only see catches and stuff like that but those are the plays that determine outcomes of football games a lot of the time.

"I think he's just about winning. Obviously you want the ball; that's part of being a receiver. You find me a receiver who doesn't care if he ever catches the ball and I'll find you one who's not very good."

Owens expects defenses to double him every week. Last year, that didn't stop him from catching a franchise-record 16 TD passes. In some cases, teams get sick of watching tight end Jason Witten catch pass after pass over the middle and eventually place a single defender on Owens.

In that situation, the star receiver says, "I don't think I can be stopped."

"I already know going into the game that with the double-team coverage and stuff like that," Owens said. "It gets frustrating, but at the same time I know that other guys are making plays as you've seen thus far."

Romo Trying To Avoid Red Zone Mistakes

Tony Romo readily admits "it was hard out there" last Sunday against the Green Bay Packers' defense. Hard enough that the Pro Bowl quarterback had a relatively off night by his standards: 17-of-30 for 260 yards, one touchdown and one interception.

Most quarterbacks would take those numbers, particularly if an impressive road win at Lambeau Field was part of the package.

Romo once again sits near the top of the NFC with a fourth-ranked 103.2 passer rating. The only glaring issue he has had is a pair of red-zone interceptions - one against Cleveland and most recently against Green Bay, when he forced a pass into three Packers defenders after Terrell Owens and Jason Witten ran a similar route into the middle of the end zone.

Romo blamed himself for a "little miscommunication" on that play, but said his mistakes sometimes are a by-product of the offense's assertive approach.

The third-year starter is averaging 9.70 yards per attempt, the highest in the NFC.

"We're very aggressive offensively," said Romo, who has thrown five touchdowns and three interceptions while completing 67.4 percent of his passes, second only to the Saints' Drew Brees (74.3) in the conference. "I think you have to find the right time for that. I'd like to think that I'm a quick learner. I'd like to think there won't be quite as many in the future."

Spencer, Hurd Could Return For 'Skins Game

Although the Cowboys will play without three starters (guard Kyle Kosier, safety Roy Williams, fullback Deon Anderson) on Sunday, there's a good chance key reserves Sam Hurd (ankle) and Anthony Spencer (knee) could return against the Redskins after participating fully in Wednesday's practice.

Hurd, a third-year receiver, hasn't played since suffering a high ankle sprain in the preseason finale. Spencer, a second-year linebacker and last year's first-round pick, played in Week Two against Philadelphia but was held out of last Sunday's win over Green Bay because of soreness in his surgically-repaired knee.

"I'm encouraged that he may play also," Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips said of Spencer, who would provide relief to starting outside linebackers Greg Ellis and DeMarcus Ware.

Hurd's return would give the Cowboys five healthy receivers for the first time all season.

Phillips said Anderson, who had his knee scoped last week, wouldn't be ready to return this week. Kosier will miss two-to-three weeks after re-injuring his foot against the Packers, and Williams is out another two-to-three weeks following surgery to stabilize a forearm fracture.

Williams' replacement at safety, Pat Watkins, had full participation despite aggravating a shoulder injury against the Packers. Phillips said nose tackle Tank Johnson was limited by a slight ankle sprain but should play Sunday.

Dime Look Could Slow Skins' Cooley

Redskins tight end Chris Cooley was playing at a high level long before finally earning his first Pro Bowl trip in February. The Cowboys saw how dangerous he could be way back in 2005, when he hauled in six catches for 71 yards and three touchdowns against them.

Those three scores on Dec. 18, 2005 remain a career record, and it's the only multiple touchdown game he has had. His performance during that 35-7 drubbing of the Cowboys signaled that he was one tight end who couldn't be overlooked, and he hasn't had nearly as much success against them since.

Well, the Cowboys may have a better battle plan than ever Sunday, when they move cornerback Anthony Henry in to cover him on passing downs. With the dime defensive look the team has been fairly successful covering tight ends through three games.

Green Bay's Donald Lee had five catches but only 41 yards Sunday. In week two Philly's L.J. Smith caught just one ball for 10 yards, and Kellen Winslow was virtually a non-factor in the opener. He caught Cleveland's lone touchdown pass, but finished with just five catches and 47 yards.

That said, Wade Phillips and the Cowboys have had their eye on how Washington deploys its star tight end.

"You still have to know where he is," Phillips said. "They don't do as much two tight end, three tight end as they have in the past. With only one tight end in the game, you know basically where he is. He's still effective and he's still a good receiver and blocker."

Deon Anxious

Anderson said his injured left knee feels much better and was moving around comfortably Wednesday, six days after having a piece of partially-loose cartilage removed from his left knee.

Anderson is anxious to return to practice, but doctors have yet to remove his surgical staples.

In the meantime, tight end Tony Curtis will continue handling Anderson's backfield blocking duties. Anderson said he hyper-extended his knee during a punt return against the Eagles, and the Cowboys decided a clean-up scope was necessary.

"Tony Curtis is holding it down," Anderson said, smiling.

Holland Getting Reps

With Kosier out again, Phillips has said Cory Procter will start again at left guard Sunday. But veteran Montrae Holland, acquired in a trade with Denver before the season, got some first-team reps in practice Wednesday and could also be active against the Redskins.

"Cory played well. He did some good things," Phillips said of Procter's two starts against the Browns and Eagles. "He had a couple holding penalties, so we need to get that cleaned up a little bit. But he did a good job for us.

"And we're still looking at Holland some. We're working him in there some. He's a veteran player that I think can go in and play."

Zach's Sack

Although the Cowboys called the NFL about crediting DeMarcus Ware with a third-quarter sack on Aaron Rodgers, who ran out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage, the league maintained that Zach Thomas technically caused the sack.

"They said that he would've kept running if Zach wouldn't have been there, that he ran out of bounds because of Zach," Phillips said.

Short Shots

The Redskins lead the league with a plus-five turnover margin . . . With eight catches on Sunday, wide receiver Terrell Owens would become the eighth player in league history to reach 900 career catches. One touchdown catch would move him into sole possession of seventh place on the Cowboys' all-time list (32).

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote