View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #34
SeanL

SeanL is infamous around these partsSeanL is infamous around these partsSeanL is infamous around these partsSeanL is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
What do you do for a living - are you a scientist? Do you spend every waking moment poring over data from every scientific study on the planet? You must be an amazing individual to have such a vast and comprehensive understanding of science that you can scrutinize every single detail of scientific research for proof instead of having to take a scientist's word at face value like the rest of us...
I'm in the middle of getting my clinical doctorate. I won't be doing research when I get my degree, but in the process of getting my degree I have been involved in a fair amount of research.

Anyhow, the point I am making is that since these scientists have published their methodology and analytical techniques I can, if I desire to, test their findings. And when a scientist does publish his/her findings many people do end up retesting their hypothesis using the said methodology.

There is no such recourse with the bible. It makes a fair amount of extraordinary claims and provides not testable evidence to support any of it. So if I desired to test the claims in the bible I couldn't.

As the saying goes: extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
You seem to think that the only religion on the planet is Christianity and that all Christians are fundamentalists who believe that the Bible is to be taken literally... Here's a crazy little fact that yo could have discovered through scientific rigor: the Jews, authors of the Old Testament, don't believe that any of it literally happened.
Actually the Ultra-Orthodox Jews do believe in the literal translation of the old testament. Like any religion Jews have their fundamentalists. All religions have their extremes. The reason why I mentioned the bible is because Christianity is the most common religion here in America. Christianity, however, is no different than Judaism, Hinduism, or Islam.

Last edited by SeanL; 11-23-2012 at 01:30 PM.
SeanL is offline   Reply With Quote