View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 10:41 PM   #62
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Just saw man of steel. Let me first start with the good. SPOILERS below.

I really liked cavill - thought that was great casting. Actually, really good casting overall. Shannon looked menacing (although his voice is not menacing AT ALL). Crowe was great as Jor-El. Adams and Fishburne were good. Costner/Lane were also great. The kids who played young Clark also put in strong performances (which leads me to...)

I LOVED all the flashbacks and the migration of Clark Kent (the odd jobs and heroics) (yes, even the tornado scene. While it was shot kind of cheesy, the scene itself was very telling as to the kind of man that raised Clark).

And... ok, that's it. That's all I liked.

Now for the negatives:

It didn't feel like I was watching superman. it felt like some horrible copy of the character. Sure, he flew and had x-ray and heat vision... but it wasn't the same character. I found myself getting quite bored at times.

as you guys have mentioned, the fight scenes were ridiculous. it's one thing to have superman hit into a building by an opponent. But to have him actually initiating the destruction numerous times? Supes would have taken that fight out to the middle of nowhere or into space.

Also thought it was comical he finally cared about the family at the end, or that he saved the one soldier who fell out of the helicopter. Dude, you've let hundreds or thousands die already...

Lois finds his "fortress of solitude" (or the equivalent) the same time he does? She finds out who he is basically immediately? Look, I know the "superman puts on glasses and no one recognizes him" bit is cheesy, but how about a little mystery?

The opening Krypton sequence went on waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long. Again, another thing that made it feel like some other movie (more like star trek than superman).

Same with the terra-former scenes. Made me feel like I was watching War of the Worlds.

Saw this mentioned on twitter (forget by who), but it made me chuckle when i actually saw it on screen. "hey lois, court side seats!" um, to what, dude? the city is fucking GONE!