View Single Post
Old 05-13-2016, 02:57 PM   #384
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
Definitely disagree with you there. Collateral damage has been a plot item for Marvel for a while. Scenes of Cap specifically trying to get people out of harm's way in Avengers 1, Iron Man feeling remorse for his actions way back in Iron Man 1. And it all culminated in this film. This was not a knee-jerk reaction, i believe this was planned for some time.

The Civil War plotline from the comics couldn't be used here, as that focused on registration and revealing secret identities - secret identities really aren't a thing in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. So i thought the change to be more about accountability and oversight really fit well, especially in this day and age of people screaming for less government.

The BvS reaction was super ridiculous -Random guy calling out - "it's ok, guys! that island is uninhabited!"
Collateral damage can always be a plot line in a superhero movie, but I think it was a bad fit here -- especially because the "logic" behind it was fvcking stupid... You're telling me the same government body that was about to *nuke* NYC during an alien invasion is mad about the 164 people who died as collateral damage during the battle? Not only that, but they're mad at the guys who prevented the entire world from being destroyed (or whatever Loki's plan was)??? Nah son, I expect better writing from the people who made The Winter Soldier -- this feels like a studio decision (like when they scheduled CW's release for the same exact date as BvS).

And it's not like the scene in BvS was any worse than the scene in AoU where the Avengers kept talking about saving every single individual in Sakovia while the fate of the WORLD was at hand... Sorry, but collateral damage should probably be expected when the survival of the entire species is on the line. There's a reason why the comic books don't waste their time with this stuff.

Besides, the Netflix shows did a much better job of dealing with the fallout of The Avengers (especially Jessica Jones) -- let's move the F on to something else, this is some well-trodden ground at this point.

**Major Spoilers**

Plus, they had more than enough motivation to fuel the conflict between Captain America and Iron Man without the Sokovia Accords -- Bucky killing Tony's parents... Which is probably why they dropped the whole collateral damage plot halfway through the movie anyway -- because it was ultimately frivolous... I think this movie worked better as Winter Soldier 2.0 than as Avengers 2.5 (even though the Avenger-y parts were the most entertaining).

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-13-2016 at 09:14 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote