View Single Post
Old 05-13-2016, 08:44 PM   #391
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
it was definitely more "talky" than most Marvel movies, but it did have some good action sequences to break that up, albeit small scale (Lagos, the Panther/Bucky chase, etc.). But I liked a lot of the exposition. I think it laid out a plot in which you really could side with either guy.
I kinda skipped over this point earlier (because work), but I really didn't have a problem with the "talky" parts that justified the Civil War plot (I can shift back & forth between what "should be" and what "is be")... No, what bored me were all the superfluous subplots added to force a "Civil War" -- like EVERYTHING between Wanda/Vision/Hawkeye.

Sure, they used Scarlett Witch's whole house arrest thing to develop the characters (so I credit the Russos for making the most of unnecessary screentime), but all of that could have easily been cut for narrative's sake... Like, couldn't Hawkeye just stay retired and the Avengers send their hard-hitters on a mission to find Hulk or something? It's not like the plot was dependent on those characters -- Tony could have just as easily pointed out Vision's observations of villainous escalation (which actually would have lent more weight to his guilt).

BUT, if you gotta go all Civil War, then adding Black Panther, Ant-Man and Spider-Man was definitely the way to go... One comic relief for team blue, one comic relief for team red, one neutral BAMF who always lands on his feet.... I didn't like some of the narrative choices in this movie because they felt forced into Marvel's overall arc, but I do think the filmmakers maximized their execution of the studio's notes.

Ultimately, I think they should have split this film into two parts -- all the grimdark should have ended Phase 2 in Captain America 3, and then maybe all the funtime-Avengers stuff could have kicked off Phase 3 with Avengers: Civil War, grown organically from the Winter Soldier's assassination of everyone's parents (including Batfleck's. . . . DIE, MARTHA!)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-13-2016 at 09:26 PM. Reason: typos
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote