View Single Post
Old 06-25-2002, 11:57 AM   #37
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

<< Nelson on Thomas:

Don Nelson seemed to confirm rumors that the Mavs may be in the market for the Knicks' Kurt Thomas. &quot;One of the big mistakes we've made since I've been here was not signing Kurt Thomas, and that was more of a financial thing,&quot; Nelson told the Fort Worth Star Telegram. &quot;We really like him as a player, and now he's proven out to be what I thought he was. We're looking for a guy like him. He's physical and rebounds, and when you lose a guy like that and you get nothing for him, it's just a void because then it takes you a period of years before you can replace that guy.&quot;
>>

Funny that Nelson was being questioned about Thomas because of the NY Post rumor which was generated indirectly by a certain &quot;Dallas source.&quot; [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

In the same article, though, I found these revealing quotes from Nelson:

<< Big lineup

The architect of the small lineup, Don Nelson hopes to use a bigger lineup during most of next season.

That hope, however, hinges on the improvements of centers Shawn Bradley and Evan Eschmeyer.

&quot;We need Bradley to do what he's doing, which is to work out all summer and to get back where he was a year ago,&quot; Nelson said. &quot;We need Eschmeyer to be what we expected him to be, which he was for about three weeks until he got hurt.&quot;

Nelson wants to move Raef LaFrentz from center to power forward and Dirk Nowitzki from power forward to small forward. Nelson believes that should solve the team's rebounding woes.

The Mavericks wanted Eschmeyer to play on their summer-league team, but he's getting married July 20.
>>

So it appears that Nelson is seriously looking at starting Nowitzki at SF next season. I personally like the idea a lot. I like it even better if we add Thomas, Clark, Olowokandi, or even Marshall to the mix to have more big man depth...