View Single Post
Old 10-08-2004, 06:26 PM   #18
NYCdog

NYCdog will become famous soon enoughNYCdog will become famous soon enough
Default RE:RUMOR: Sammy Sosa may be heading back to the Rangers!!

Personally, I dont like the deal. The Rangers are a young, up and coming team, like the current Angels once were. Why destroy that with a player who's best years are far behind him and has a "me first" attitude that could destroy the good chemistry that exsists in this clubhouse.

I think the Rangers and owner Tom Hicks are looking at this from a business standpoint.

Sosa might not bring wins. But he brings "star power,"......that power that lures fans to the ballpark, causes merchandise sales to rise, etc....

This year, the Rangers fielded a penant contender with no star power. In September, when you figure the stands would be packed for the playoff push, there was instead wide open empty spaces of green seats all throught the Ballpark.

Tom Hicks has said he wouldnt spend so lavishly like he has done in the past. Instead he intends on spending just enough to where he feels the club will trun profit this season. I.E..... if attendance figures and season ticket packages rise, so will the team payroll cost.

If Sosa is traded to Texas, I believe it will be because Hicks believes Sosa will bring in more ticket sales....