View Single Post
Old 08-14-2004, 07:42 AM   #15
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Trade With Lakers Has Been Amended

Well....now I'm reading that Payton's going to retire.

Text

[/quote]
TRADE AMENDED: He won't report to Boston, so LA gets Jones instead of Banks and a draft pick.

12:20 AM PDT on Saturday, August 14, 2004

By BRODERICK TURNER / The Press-Enterprise

Still irate over being traded from the Lakers to the Celtics, Gary Payton failed to report to Boston on Friday to take his physical, forcing the teams to amend their trade.

The Lakers will get 6-foot-8 forward Jumaine Jones instead of second-year guard Marcus Banks and a second-round pick in next year's draft. The Lakers had acquired Banks and the pick earlier in the month, along with guard Chucky Atkins and 7-footer Chris Mihm, for Payton, Rick Fox and a first-round pick.

Payton, 36, remains the property of Boston. In a phone interview Friday, Payton said he would retire before reporting to Boston.

Terry Pierson / The Press-Enterprise
An upset Gary Payton said he'll retire before playing for Boston. The Lakers "didn't respect me. Why should I respect them?" he said.

"I wasn't going to Boston to take a physical," he said. "I ain't going to move my family no more. I can't take my family to Boston. It ain't no disrespect to Boston."

Payton said he'd prefer to play for Houston, Minnesota or the Clippers.

Payton is due to earn $5.4 million in the last year of his contract. If he doesn't report and isn't traded again, Payton would not get paid.

"I don't care about that," Payton said. "If it goes down, I'll quit. I can go on and do something else."

Payton said had he known the Lakers were going to trade him, he wouldn't have exercised his contract option for next season.

"They used me to sign so they could get other players," Payton said. "Boston is going to lose out on this. They ain't going to get (nothing). It's about respect. They (the Lakers) didn't respect me. Why should I respect them?"

The Celtics said they expected Payton to be in Boston on Monday to take a physical.

With Jones, the Lakers have five small forwards again.

Jones, 25, has averaged 6.9 points and 3.9 rebounds while playing for three teams in five seasons. He shot a career-low 34.4 percent from the field last season, his first in Boston. Limited to 8.9 minutes a game, Jones averaged 2.2 points and 1.6 rebounds.

Reach Broderick Turner at bturner@pe.com.
[/quote]

Its not exactly the same thing that was being reported last night, but that actually makes more senes now. I couldn't quite understand why Payton would void the trade if he still had intentions to play in Boston. I still don't get why he's going to be showing up for the physical on Monday??

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote