View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 01:24 PM   #136
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
I think that's all correct, but even still, Wright playing a little bit wouldn't throw anything out of whack. Dirk isn't going to play 48 a game once he gets back, so there will have to be a "Dirk-less" philosophy to the offensive approach even then.
To some extent that's true, but with Shawn and Elton (and possibly Jae), it won't need to be a Wright-friendly philosophy.

Quote:
And I can't speak for anyone else, but what I'm hoping for is pretty minimal. I'd like to see just a few minutes a game for Wright. I don't need him to start and play 25-30. I don't think leaving him on the bench versus playing him for 5-10 minutes is "preserving" the offense.
It's worth pointing out that he would be getting 5-10 minutes if Sarge hadn't been beating him out for backup center minutes recently. I know you talked about PF later in your post, but that just appears to be a lost cause; and the fact remains, it's not just the PF position where Brandan is getting clipped. I guess maybe look on the bright side: a non-trivial portion of the minutes that Brandan isn't getting are at least going to a couple young guys (Jae and Sarge). It's not all going to vets.

Quote:
The difference is that Murphy doesn't do anything else well. Wright does.
I'm not sure the coaching staff would agree here. For example, I remember seeing a quote praising Troy's pick and roll defense (I watched him some myself and definitely thought I saw what they were referring to). Troy was also making a bigger impact on the defensive boards than Brandan, even if the overall rebounding numbers were the same. Given how bad this team has looked in those two areas for most of this season, I expect those were major factors in determining his claim on a rotation spot.

Quote:
Also, Murphy was playing more than I even expect Wright to. I'd like to see 5-10 per game out of Wright, mostly at PF. That's it. I haven't averaged out the numbers, but I know Murphy played 14 minutes in one of his last games, and 17 minutes in another. That's too much for a guy like that.
Minutes always get out of whack when you've got injuries. And Troy played 16 mpg last year, so the 18 mpg he got in Dallas doesn't look all that out of whack to me.