View Single Post
Old 02-04-2021, 03:30 PM   #456
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Very interesting bit in an article from the Ringer. [url[https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/2/1/22260012/dallas-mavericks-houston-rockets-san-antonio-spurs[/url]

"But the Mavs should be aggressive in finding someone even better. The problem is Dallas can’t trade a first-round pick until 2027 unless the top-10 protections are removed from the 2023 first being sent to New York. If that happens, then NBA rules would allow Dallas to trade firsts in 2025 and 2027, plus pick swaps in 2022, 2024, and 2026. With the ability to trade their picks and a number of talented young players on the roster, the Mavericks could put together a strong trade package for any star who might become available, such as Wizards guard Bradley Beal."

I didn't realize that's how the rules about trading picks worked. I thought we were just screwed until like 2027. Maybe we still are? I'm confused about this. He says "if top 10 protections are removed." Meaning, the Mavs can chose to this, and this would allow the Mavs to trade first rounders again? If that's true, than the Mavs could still conceivably put together a decent trade package for an impact player. He mentions Beal, but I'm not thinking of him necessarily, I just mean anyone.
Yes it can be done. The Bucks and Cavs removed protections on a pick for the Holiday trade and the CAVS actually received a second round pick. So we’d be looking at something similar presumably.

As I’ve said before, the key for any Beal deal to Dallas is they a)promised to re-route him to a preferred destination when he surprisingly signed the extension and b) Dallas is his preferred destination. He would have to really want to be here. Otherwise I think other contending teams could beat our offer.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote