View Single Post
Old 11-01-2003, 03:22 PM   #48
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:How about this for Ben Wallace?

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
it's amazing that you could argue the benefits of bradley and then say something about Wallace not making much of an impact on the mavs

a bit confused LRB?

First of all, Bradley is more of a offensive player than Wallace IMO. I'm not saying Shawn is a great or even good offensive player, just considerably better overall that Wallace. Next to play Shawn, we don't have to give up any players that would make us weaker at other positions. To get Wallace here we would most likely have to give up 2 of Fin, Walker, or Jamison.

Ben has lots of advantages over Shawn, but Shawn is almost a whole foot taller than Ben. And on a per minute basis Shawn is much better than Wallace at blocking shots. Last season Shawn blocked a shot every 10.1 minutes while Ben only blocked a shot every 12.5 minutes. I also feel that Shawn is much better than Wallace at altering shots, a stat which of course isn't kept by the NBA.

Now Ben is definitely a much better rebounder than Shawn. Ben grabbed a rebound every 2.56 minutes last season compared to Shawn's 3.62 rebounds per minute. Still Shawn is a good rebounder, Ben is just much better. However, playing in the West most of the time I would expect Ben's numbers to come down some. Still I wouldn't expext it to go below 1 rebound every 3 minutes even in a worst case scenario. But remember we have to give up 2 players to get Ben and need to figure their rebounding as well. Fin, Walker, and Jaimsion averaged a rebound every 6.60, 5.76 and 5.61 minutes respecitively. Not great but their total rebounds were 5.8, 7.2, and 7.0 respecitively. And combination of the 2 would be within 4 rebounds of Big Ben's totall.

Ben would be the best man-to-man post defender on this team despite his lack of height. But he can't shut down Shaq and Duncan one on one and if Wallace comes to help someone else, his man will be open for a layup unless we get our defensive rotations down which we've always struggled with. If Wallace stops the drive there is still the dish to his man available.

So by getting Big Ben we lose a ton of points. We lose lots of opportunities to draw fouls on opposing players (which really is the best defense IMO). We gain only marginally on rebounding for what we give up. We get someone who is a big liability in close games because of his lack of O and FT skills. And he's not as good at shot blocking as who we already have. Plus he's undersized.