View Single Post
Old 08-02-2011, 11:02 AM   #35
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyDirk View Post
Adaptation: Period, Persistence, and Priortization - IF you read this and it doesn't have an effect on how you train or at least how you think about training, I am sorry... you're an idiot.
My apparent idiocy aside, how would Major Wells account for the significant and quantifiable gains in fitness yielded by cross-training and circuit techniques, if they are in fact inherently flawed? I think if you were to do something as simple as survey the guys on this board, you would find quite a few who were pleased with their experiences.

It is not just regular Joe's who adhere to circuit training, professional athletes (Lance Armstong and Drew Brees are just two who immediately come to mind having shown off their techniques in, of all places, Men's Health) also buy into it, with consistent, long-term results. Wells himself seems to espouse the benefits of circuits on his website, http://www.findingfitwithin.com/, where he shows a man performing a four point circuit on the home page.

It is ironic that Wells points to the current regime as having, "an inability to accommodate new ways of thinking," as there are extremely reactionary elements inherent in his prescribed techniques. Focusing one's workout around squats, the bench press and deadlifts is typical "old school" and only exercises primary muscle groups and ignoring key stabilizing muscles, leaving one more susceptible to injury.

We all strive for maximum relative fitness, commensurate with what our bodies are able to physically sustain, and what our day-job schedules realistically allow. While there are certainly flaws in cross training programs, as there are with any fitness program, that does not change the fact that they deliver results for those of who cannot work out full-time. Full disclosure, I have not personally completed a program such as P90X, but circuit / muscle confusion training is a huge part of my daily workout.

Finally, I found this quote to be particularly absurd:

Quote:
"Gains from cardio training are not necessarily very useful. It is far better to accept some residual cardio training from a strength routine and whatever cardio is forced upon you during daily activities (and no more!). If you can achieve the requisite level of cardio fitness from less work, why would you do more?"
I don't mean for this post to be argumentative, as I am certainly open to new training techniques, especially from someone who has the impressive credentials of Wells. I just don't agree with this particular write-up. In all seriousness, if you feel I am simply missing some key point from the article, I would appreciate it if you would clarify for my benefit.

Last edited by orangedays; 08-02-2011 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Grammar, etc.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote