View Single Post
Old 02-19-2003, 10:31 PM   #12
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Here's the ESPN recap...been with my son all day, so I'm just catching up !!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deal gives Grizzlies a shooter, Magic inside help
ESPN.com news services

Orlando and Memphis pulled off the first big trade before Thursday's NBA deadline, agreeing to a four-player deal that sent Mike Miller and Ryan Humphrey from the Magic to the Grizzlies for rookies Drew Gooden and Gordan Giricek. A news conference was scheduled for 10 p.m. ET Wednesday night to announce the trade. "While we are certainly sorry to see Mike move on, we have addressed our needs with the additions of Drew and Gordan," Magic GM John Gabriel said in a statement. "Drew brings size and athleticism to our frontline, while Gordan is an excellent perimeter shooter."

Added head coach Doc Rivers, "This is a tough business and Mike was one of my favorites. He, however, was the only way we could improve our basketball team. Obviously, anytime you can get size, you need to do it. I'm looking forward to coaching Drew and Gordan." Orlando is giving up its second-leading scorer, Miller, who was averaging 16.4 points as the second offensive option behind Tracy McGrady.

The Magic never envisioned having to use Miller, a small forward, as their second option, but the chronic ankle injury that sidelined Grant Hill indefinitely forced Miller into that role. It will now be filled by Gooden, the fourth overall selection in last year's draft. Gooden was averaging 12.1 points and 5.8 rebounds for the Grizzlies, but was not regarded as one of coach Hubie Brown's favorite players. The small forward's name had been coming up in trade rumors during recent days as the clock ticked down to Thursday's 3 p.m. ET deadline.

Giricek, a native of Croatia, averaged 11.2 points for Memphis.

Humphrey, a rookie from Notre Dame, appeared in 35 games for Orlando and averaged 1.8 points. He was shooting only 27 percent from the field.